MYP Helping Build a Community of Excellence
In Royal Oak Community Schools, we are committed to providing our students with high quality, challenging, and relevant education to prepare them to be active global community members. To this end, in 2015, Royal Oak High School and Royal Oak Middle School were authorized as IB world schools offering the Middle Years Programme. The MYP works to foster active learners and internationally minded, empathetic students who live with purpose and meaning. It offers invites students to explore a large range of significant issues and topics locally, nationally, and globally through inquiry, which in turn helps develop creative, critical, and reflective thinkers (IBO). Benefits of MYP include students:
- learning through engagement and connecting their classroom to the larger world
- developing confidence in managing their own learning
- feeling supported and challenged in an environment where they are motivated to excel
- understanding global challenges and committing to act as responsible citizens
- applying learning to unfamiliar and personal contexts, making it relevant to their lives
- practicing character building traits to become well-rounded individuals
Royal Oak High School
1500 Lexington Ave.
Royal Oak, MI 48073
Royal Oak Middle School
709 N. Washington Ave.
Royal Oak, MI 48067
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
~IB Mission Statement